On Sunday, October 3, I will once again lace up my walking shoes to participate in the 2021 Boston Marathon® Jimmy Fund Walk: Your Way presented by Hyundai. I am so grateful for all the generous support of my past fundraising efforts and I am reaching out today to ask to consider donating in honor of our now 14 year old grandson, Graham. In 2017 during the early days of Graham’s fight against medulloblastoma Graham’s mom shared a quote, ‘The one who moves mountains begins by carrying small stones.’ The Jimmy Fund Walk was my way to move small stones to dismantle this mountain we faced.
I am scheduled to be in VT on Sunday, October 3rd. This year, I won’t be heading into Boston to walk the famed marathon route. Instead, I’ll be making my own route, for my really long walk my route starts at our front door ending on the town green in Weston after weaving my way along the numerous hilly back roads of the Weston, Londonderry, Andover area.
Last year as a group of family and friends we collectively raised $5405 in Graham's honor. $ 6.3 million was raised by the enthusiastic group of 6500 participants. My personal 20 mile journey took 8 hours and 48 minutes walking 50,027 steps. Another memorable day forever etched in my heart and mind.
The funds raised by the Jimmy Fund Walk help to:
- Support Dana-Farber’s efforts in response to the COVID-19 pandemic including: supplying PPE, providing the technology to transition appointments to tele-medicine, and much more.
- Advance Dana-Farber’s signature total patient care by enhancing patient and family programs, such as nutrition education, art and music therapy, and the pediatric Back to School Program.
- Fund hundreds of clinical trials, which lead to the development of new cancer fighting drugs.
- Maintain a world-class facility by attracting and retaining the highest caliber faculty, and recruiting young, promising, innovative scientists and clinicians from around the globe who will lead the next generation of cancer care and research.
- Identifying biomarkers that can help predict which patients will benefit from immunotherapy
- Enhancing access to care both locally and globally, including progress on new outpatient facilities within New England as well as opening facilities in China and Haiti.
Dana-Farber has ambitious goals for what it hopes to accomplish in the future and that is why I have set my goal once again try to raise $5500 through my participation in this year’s Jimmy Fund Walk. Can I count on your support?
During this most difficult time of COVID-19 cancer has not taken a vacation, the nightmare of cancer diagnosis continues as it has before for so many people no matter their age, race or economic reality. I am pleased to once again help support their treatment and cures. Please join me by making a contribution of any amount you are comfortable with during this challenging time.
It's easy to have an impact on this important and universal cause. You can:
- Donate online: give directly through my fundraising page:
- Send in a check: Write a check payable to "Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk" with my name and participant ID # 1006659 in the memo line and send it directly to the Jimmy Fund Walk at:
Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk
P.O. Box 3595
Boston, MA 02241-3595
I am eternally grateful to the life Dana-Farber has restored to Graham, and I am a firm believer and lover of science and all its mysteries. As of June 2021, Graham’s scan showed no evidence of disease or recurrence. How great is that?!
With your generous support, I know that we will move closer to the ultimate finish line:
A WORLD WITHOUT CANCER !!
Thank you in advance for your thoughtful generosity,