A lot has changed since I began raising funds for Dana Farber and the Jimmy Fund seven years ago. I now walk in memory of my aunt, who benefited from the incredible patient care at Dana Farber during her courageous battle with ovarian cancer. I walk for countless friends and family members and their loved ones, many of whom are still with us thanks to research funded by DFCI. And I walk for those loved ones who have lost those battles, with the hope that someday soon we'll live in a world that's cancer free.
But there have been some encouraging changes too. In the past few years alone, Dana Farber has been able to accomplish truly incredible things thanks to funds raised from The Jimmy Fund Walk, including:
- A Dana-Farber study of a combination of two drugs targeting molecular pathways controlled by RAS achieved long-term clinical benefit in patients with RAS-driven lung, ovarian, and thyroid cancers.
- In the largest clinical study to date of genetic abnormalities in pediatric brain tumors, Dana-Farber researchers found that a majority of the tumors tested had genetic irregularities that could influence diagnosis or potentially be treated with existing drugs.
- Dana-Farber research led to FDA approval the first new drug for acute myeloid leukemia in 25 years, and of an immunotherapy drug to treat relapsed Hodgkin lymphoma in adult and pediatric patients—the first time that an immune checkpoint inhibitor has been approved to treat children with cancer.
- Dana-Farber launched a Chinese-language website, helped to open the Boao Evergrande International Hospital in China’s Hainan province, and opened a cancer clinic in Haiti with Partners in Health.
- Researchers developed and launched a simple online assessment tool that can help rapidly identify people who should undergo genetic testing for Lynch syndrome, an inherited disorder that greatly increases the lifetime risk of colorectal, endometrial, ovarian, stomach, and other cancers.
- And so much more
I'm so grateful for any and all support you can give; even a small contribution will help raise vital funds for Dana-Farber and the Jimmy Fund. While strides are constantly being made to fight and prevent cancer in new ways, the work is far from done. Your generous support of The Jimmy Fund Walk not only allows Dana-Farber leaders to continue to apply monies rapidly when promising new research opportunities arise-- funds raised by The Jimmy Fund Walk also help enhance existing programs and initiatives that serve patients and their families who come to Dana-Farber for its signature total patient care philosophy.
Thank you in advance for your generosity.